Why babies cry for hoursAll babies cry or scream. Even very healthy infants do it - often two to three hours a day. They have to. After all, they depend on someone feeding them, keeping them warm and cared for. In addition, digestion in babies often does not work well and may be accompanied by bloating and abdominal pain. Sometimes babies also have trouble finding peace and then cry out of over-stimulation and tiredness - or to relieve stress. Because they can not talk, like us adults, and so ""get air"".
With age, the periods of screaming become shorter, because the little ones learn new ways of understanding. They make eye contact, make sounds and even smile instead of crying. But until that happens, we have no choice but to respond to your crying.
To make one thing clear: Your baby does not want to annoy or provoke you with his screaming - even if there are people around you who firmly and firmly maintain the opposite. Screaming does not strengthen the lungs! Instead, the infant emits stress hormones, ignoring his screams, experiences fear, despair, frustration, and learns a sad basic lesson for life: ""I'm worth nothing! ""
How can I better understand my crying baby?
Freshly baked mothers and fathers find it hard to judge what the baby wants in a given situation - is it hungry, freezing, is it full of nappies or is it only being cuddled? The art is to differentiate the different meanings of crying and to fulfill your baby's wishes as quickly as possible.Read in our article, ""Seven Reasons Why Babies Cry,"" where you can identify the wishes of your sweetheart. However, there are also babies where these differences are very difficult to recognize. Then, as a parent, you can only gradually try out what helps.
What is ""Excessive Screaming? ""
When a baby cries inconsolably over three weeks at least three days a week for at least three hours, experts speak of"" excessive crying. "" Child and adolescent psychiatrists suspect a regulatory disorder (2): The child has little or no ability to balance his or her self and well-being, sleeping and waking, eating and digesting food, crying and feeling well.It sends no clear signals and finds no confirmation from its parents due to its constant screaming. In short, the communication between a screaming kid and his parents is disturbed. The good news: This dialogue can be improved with a little practice.Important: Even if your nerves are blank, never shake or beat your child. These uncontrolled actions could seriously injure your baby! If you find yourself becoming aggressive, take your child to a safe place (or give it to another dependable person) and take a few minutes to breathe deeply.
Look for relief from acquaintances, relatives or volunteers (such as ""wellcome"" or family sponsors) who will take your child off. Never give your child sleep or sedatives. If your child screams shrilly and for hours without calming down, or if it shows behavioral problems that you find strange, you should consult a doctor. Ask if medical causes, such as cow's milk intolerance (may also be a factor in breastfeeding) may be present. A visit to the osteopath can also help to prevent blockages.
Scraping problems that you can not handle yourself are a case for experts. Do not be afraid to ask your pediatrician or midwife for advice, or contact a counseling center directly. There are nursery outpatient clinics or shouting clinics throughout Germany (addresses can be found at www.tropostreich.de). Especially in the following cases, you should seek professional support:Once you suspect your child may be suffering from a physical condition.
- If your child's crying interferes with your family life,
- is affecting your relationship with your child,
- leads to a chronic sleep deficit,
- the relationship is short-lived in the long run,
- a sibling is no longer receives enough attention.
- Midwives Tips
Give the baby a set rhythm every day, for example, take a walk every morning, have a nap at the same time in the same place, and always start the evening with the same ritual, such as a massage or light massage gymnastic exercises (1). Get an overview of the approximate sleeping requirement and the useful split of naps for your child through our table. If your baby only sleeps briefly in the stroller, try putting it down in a dark, quiet room at home during the day. Many babies sleep better and longer.
- Swinging calms children - various carrying systems facilitate carrying (1). Often a warm bath can contribute to relaxation. Lavender additive for babies enhances the effect.
- Take turns with your partner while you're in the car and take a break from time to time (1).
- Sounds are reassuring (1). Choose a quiet, gentle music that pleases you and your baby. The sound of the sea, birdsong or whale song also harmonize the mood. Some children also like everyday noises, such as the sound of the dishwasher or the vacuum cleaner. On the Internet, z. As with youtube, there are videos titled ""white noise"" or ""womb sound"" or ""sea noise"".
- Find out exactly what puts your baby to stress (2). Does it mainly cry during bustle and loud noises? Then ensure a quiet atmosphere. Does it feel lost in his cot? Then you stick it or carry it in a baby carrier or a good baby carrier (eg Bondolino, Manduca, Ergo Baby, Buzzidil) always tight.
- When the baby is teething, gently massage the gums. Let it chew on its fingers, so that the teeth calm down.
- For colic and flatulence, try your luck with a light massage of the tummy (circling clockwise around the navel) best with wind ointment. You just should not massage if the stomach is hard and tense. Pay attention to the signals of your child!
- What's important is that everything you do is done with as little excitement as possible. Try to find peace even when it is difficult (2). Your baby will feel your stress, your fears and insecurities very closely. Again and again, breathe deep into your stomach and long and detailed. Imagine inhaling relaxation and strength and exhaling all stress.
- Grandparents, siblings or friends can sometimes bring your baby to a better rest than you (2). This is simply because they care much less often for your baby and not for you almost 24 hours a day. That's why they usually radiate more peace. Ask for the help of outsiders and use the break to rest - not for the budget! That is not as important as a recovered mother. Do not feel guilty and forbid the feeling of having failed. It is not normal for a baby to be completely self-sufficient. It is much more natural that several people are there for a baby.
- Herbal Medicine
- If bloating and abdominal pain may be important to your baby then you can give him Lefax Pump-Liquid for every 10 - 14 days with each meal. This reduces the air in the stomach.
Weleda has some complex remedies such as Calmedoron Globuli or Bryophyllum 50% Powder, which also have a calming effect. Ask your pediatrician and do not give this remedy permanently, but initially for ten days and then occasionally as needed, with breaks. Of the regular administration of tea is rather discouraged, because in herbal teas (also in organic quality) toxic pollutants were found.Homeopathy
A homeopathic constitutional treatment can address the crying problem holistically.It improves the regulatory processes of the small organism (1). Dr. Markus Wiesenauer, homeopathic physician, suggests the following self-care remedies for flatulence and bloating (3):
Chamomilla D12 if your child is constantly crying and you can not calm it down. Even after breastfeeding it immediately begins to scream again. Dosage: 1 globulus twice a day.Colocynthis D12, if your child pulls the legs close to the body during cry attacks, nothing suits him. Especially in the evening and at night it cries and cries incessantly. Dosage: 1 globulus twice a day.
- Lycopodium D12, if your child is dissatisfied during the day when he is very stupid. The crying increases in the late afternoon. If you breastfeed your child, it refuses to breast after a short drink. Dosage: 1 globulus twice a day.
- Nux vomica D12, when your child announces himself loudly in the evening and at night and does not want to stop. Only in the morning, it comes to rest. It drinks noticeably irregularly. The chair is also irregular and hard. The remedy may also be considered if you have been given painkillers, contractors, or caesarean delivery before or during labor. Dosage: 1 globulus twice a day.
- Body Therapy
- Body therapy such as osteopathy, shiatsu or acupressure can also be helpful for small screaming necks (1). They can provide a solution not only for cervical spine or head joint blockages.
In addition, there is now the emotional First Aid - it helps babies in a body-therapeutic way to relax better.Sources
first Bebenroth B, Kerckhoff A. 2011. Naturopathic self-help for pregnancy and baby. Nature and Medicine Publisher (Karl and Veronica Carstens Foundation). 150-152.
second Laue B, Schmid B, Vössler N. 2008. 1000 questions to the midwife. GU publishing house. 437-443.
third Wiesenauer M, Knapp S. 2008. Homeopathy for pregnancy and baby time. GU-Verlag. 117-118.
Show sources Hide sources