the skin has to stretch extremely during pregnancy, averaging 10 to 15 kg more weight. Real problem areas are there belly, butt, thighs and breasts. Due to the strong stretching of the tissue can form in connection with the hormonal loosening the ugly stretch marks. At the same time, the loosening of the tissue puts more strain on the veins. Different regions of your body deserve increased attention during pregnancy.
Stretch marksStretch marks are two to four millimeter wide tears in the connective tissue of the subcutaneous tissue. At first they are slightly pink, then bluish-red and finally transparent white. They are especially common in women whose connective tissue is weak overall. This can be expressed, for example, in a tendency to cellulite. However, a massive increase in weight promotes the development of stretch marks. According to a French study, more than 50% of all pregnant women are affected.
Stretch marks are only partially preventable. But you can do a lot to make sure that your skin survives the stretching procedure during pregnancy with only minimal injuries - for example, to eat a well-balanced diet, to take care of a healthy amount of exercise and to care for your skin with care. Useful are all measures that promote the circulation and elasticity of the skin. Here are the most important tips:
Take a shower first for two minutes. After that, turn the water cold and direct the cold shower jet to the right foot first and then guide it on the back of the leg to the buttocks. After that, it's the left leg's turn. Then shower first the right and then the left arm cold. Begin each time at the fingertips and guide the cold beam along the outside of the arms to the shoulder. Finally, the chest, stomach and back come to the series, but only briefly. Then shower again for two minutes before repeating the cold application again.
Dry brushing promotes blood circulation and makes the skin more elastic. The required utensil is a natural fiber brush or a loofah glove. Follow the same timetable as the shuttle showers, so start with your right leg. Guide the brush from the sole of the foot over the lower and thigh to the buttocks.Then it's the hands and arms' turn. Brush the belly circularly in a clockwise direction. Finally, it's your turn.
During the oil massage, the abdomen and thighs are gently massaged once a day. You can use normal olive, sunflower, almond or wheat germ oil, a body oil or a special product for pregnant women. Products designed to prevent stretch marks are available in almost every price range (100 ml 1, 30-24 euros). The oil is particularly effective when it is gently incorporated into the slightly moist skin after the bath or shower.
Plucking and kneading massage
A plucking and kneading massage is especially effective. To do this, take a piece of skin between your thumb and forefinger and pluck it away from the muscles and gently knead it through. Edit all problem areas of your body. Use your normal massage oil (see above). From the third month you should use the plucking and kneading massage daily. However, you should refrain from this form of massage towards the end of pregnancy (and premature labor!). Then just gently brush in the oil, as strong manipulation should now be avoided. Even after birth, the plucking and kneading massage supports the regression of the stretched tissue.
Constipation for the VeinsThe hormonal changes in pregnancy increase the load on the venous system, and loosening the tissue increases venous pressure. At the same time, in advanced pregnancy, the congesting component of the expanding uterus is added, often overburdening the venous system. The legs swell and feel heavy. Existing varicose veins may become worse due to pregnancy or even appear for the first time. Long standing and lack of exercise additionally promote the development of varicose veins. Fortunately, after the birth they usually return to their normal form. However, you can do a lot to support your venous system:
- Easy rocking, footsteps, toe claws, walking, cycling, dancing, yoga for pregnant women, and of course, pregnancy gymnastics - all this helps against heavy legs and prevents varicose veins, because it stimulates the calf pump. Swimming is particularly good for the veins because it also cools pleasantly.
- Put your legs up as often as you can during the day - when working at the desk, use a second chair or stool to help. Sleep with your legs raised - this is where a pillow or a rolled-up blanket will help you to put your legs on.
- Wear support stockings when traveling or standing up for a long time or compression stockings prescribed for your varicose veins.
- Complete the warm morning shower with a cold leg cast. To do this, start at the right ankle and slowly direct the water jet over the tibia to the knee.Repeat ten times and switch to the other leg. Also calf wrap with cloth soaked in cold water, to which you can add quark or vinegar, cool heavy legs, prevent varicose veins and relieve discomfort.
- Massage your legs daily from the tiptoe to the heart. Circulation-enhancing massage oils, cooling leg gels or ointments with mint, citrus, horse chestnut, red vine leaves, arnica, hamamelis, marigold or mouse thorn extract support the massage effect. In addition, there are also foot and leg creams especially for pregnant women (100 ml / g 2 - 8, 60 euros).
- Read more tips on personal care during pregnancy:
- Showering and Bathing
- Gift Ideas